Thursday, December 31, 2009

God Bless America

After 6 months of work at the fishing resort I decided to spoil myself a bit and use my tip money from the summer to buy a fly-fishing rod. I figured that I could save a bit of money (and experience the store I've heard quite a bit about) if I went down to Cabela's hunting and outdoors store south of Seattle. After just a few days at home, Scott and I hopped in the car (no motorbike this time) and headed down to Lacey, Washington. This store is RIDICULOUS! I probably don't need to explain much about these stores, you can google them if you want, but I will mention the mountain in the centre of the Costco-sized store which was covered in dead game animals, including a 1500lb Stellar Sea Lion, a polar bear, Moose, Elephant, Lions, every kind of African Antelope, birds, cougars, Grizzlies etc... as you can see here:



After buying a sweet 6 weight fly rod and reel set up and a few extras, dining on Moose burgers (or some other game animal, I can't remember) browsing the camo section, the gun collection and hunting dog accessories, we headed back up to Seattle for a night on the town.


 - We saw this ridiculous boat en route. Seriously? -

Seattle was just as I remembered it - rainy with a Starbucks on every corner. Unfortunately we didn't find  much to do on a Tuesday night, so we settled for dinner and a walk around the city. We spent the next morning wandering Pike Place Market (and drinking lots of coffee), the waterfront and the space needle before heading north again.








No comments: