Friday, August 21, 2009

YOU went to Vietnam?!

I take a lot of American guests out fishing through work, and quite often find myself discussing my travels to pass the time in between playing fish. Recently, a small town couple from the USA asked how I spent my winters when I wasn't at work, so I explained how I had graduated from University and have since spent my winters traveling abroad to places like Africa and Asia. These people were shocked that a girl like me would go so far away; One of the two had only just travelled on a plane for the first time in her life to come to BC for this very trip. She asked for more specifics on where I went, but when I listed Vietnam, she stopped to inquire,
"Now why would ya ever want to go to Viet-NAM? Aren't they still a bunch of communists over there? You must be so brave!" I wish I could do without the American stereotypes, but she really did speak with the accentuated drawl.
They asked if the Vietnamese hated me or assumed that I was American, to which I explained how I never really did run into any problems myself, though I definitely picked up on some Anti-American undertones in the war museums. They seemed shocked that any "North American" would ever want to go there (I'm not really sure how well-informed these lovely and friendly folks are). I explained to my guests how the Vietnamese people were unbelievably kind, the food delicious, the markets incredibly interesting and the countryside beautiful. I'm not sure if they believed me, but I did my best to explain how I fell in love with this charming, multi-faceted and culturally rich little country.

Regardless of whether or not they believed my love of Vietnam to be genuine, the conversation sparked happy memories of my 30 days in Vietnam. I loved that country so much that I made sure to use every day of the 30 day Visa they granted me.

Here are a few favorite photos from one of my favorite places - Hoi An:


I spent a few days here, enjoying sweet vietnamese coffee and treats at the patisserie and wandering through the colonial town along the river.


I never got tired of the food markets - so many colors, smells, characters and constant commotion.

This incredible old man, mimed to me to take his picture as he sat in his narrow boat, grinning at all the tourists passing by. He didn't ask for money when I took his photo or when I thanked him with a nod of the head and big smile. He just grinned even wider and waved goodbye.

No comments: