Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Saumu's First Christmas 2010


This video never fails to make me smile - a sure pick-me-up when first world problems are weighing me down.

Back in December 2010, my wonderful friend Danielle and I spent 6 weeks in Tanzania together, and celebrated Christmas with Saumu for the first time ever. I dragged over all kinds of little things for her - some practical, some not - as well as brightly colored wrapping paper and everything I would need to make just enough fuss about Christmas while I was over there. We spent a week over Christmas on a sleepy little beach on the East coast of Zanzibar Island, and had a lovely quiet morning by the sea on Christmas day, exchanging the token gifts I had hauled over from Canada.

Now to backpedal a bit... Saumu had always had "pierced" ears, though could never afford to have any kind of earrings. As long as I had known her she had stuck little pieces of straw or grass through the earring holes to keep them from growing shut.

So for Christmas I got her one of those cheap little 12-packs of earrings you can buy at those teenage girl stores full of accessories at the mall. This was her reaction. $4 VERY well spent.

No comments: