To sum it up, I covered about 600km traveling from Nha Trang to Lak Lake (small village north of Da Lat), to Da Lat to Mui Ne. Along the way we stopped at local restaurants (incredibly cheap prices and great food), factories and plantations to see how locals live and work, and the odd touristy waterfall or pagoda for the obligatory photo ops. I was a bit worried about hitting the road with just myself and some Vietnamese guy I don't know, but my guide, Binh, was really knowledgeable and funny. He told me he was prepared to be my security man - and even had a taser on him to prove it... a little random, but I felt safe. We had a great time on the road together and he provided a lot of insight into issues about the American war, farming and working life in Vietnam and some of the social issues in this beautiful country. All in all, a great trip.
Sand Dunes outside of Mui Ne
A moth after emerging from its cocoon made of silk... this cocoon will be unravelled and combined with about 6-7 others to make one thread of silk several thousand metres long.
The Giant Happy Buddha outside Da Lat
There are over 772,000km on this motorbike. Binh claims it is only 5 years old, but I'm not sure if we were having some communication errors... In any case it's a Honda Soco that has seen A LOT of Vietnam.
I didn't think this bridge was safe to walk on, let alone drive a motorbike across, but these giggling girls managed to survive the crossing
No comments:
Post a Comment