I have done a lot of complaining about the food here and I have to take it all back.
One of my students, a little girl, started crying in the middle of our Health & Nutrition class while we were talking about the different food groups and various types of fruits and vegetables. Sada just started crying and holding her stomach until the teacher who was giving the lesson asked her what was wrong. Sada managed to squeak out through her tears that she had a stomach ache. The other teacher looked at me, not knowing what to do, so I volunteered to take the little girl outside and sit with her in case she was going to be sick. Before I left, I asked the other teachers to ask Sada in Kiswahili exactly what she was feeling and what might be wrong. The answer was simple: She hadn't had breakfast or any food and was extremely hungry.
And so, I held the little girl for quite some time as we sat outside in the shade. Sada always acts serious and quiet but is really very sweet, with a tough demeanor that keeps the boys from teasing her like they do the other girls. That day, however, she was totally defeated as she sat in my lap gagging on an empty stomach. I decided then that I really have nothing to complain about when it comes to food in Tanzania. The bread I eat every morning might be stale and crawling with tiny ants, my dinner might be cold or overcooked or way too salty, but it fills me up and has yet to make me sick (knock on wood). Sada had the milk and banana at break time when all the other kids ate, but it didn't seem to help her feel better. We took her home that day and she didn't come to school for a while, but she is back now and looks healthy and fine - a huge relief & new perspective for me again.
No comments:
Post a Comment